CEC’s Advocacy voice was heard! While most education programs were frozen at FY 15 amounts, both special and gifted education were slated for increases.
The following CEC supported programs received increases in the Omnibus for FY 2016 including:
- IDEA Part B = +$415 million
- IDEA Preschool Program = +$15 million
- IDEA Part C = +$20 million
- IDEA Part D
- Technical Assistance and Dissemination = +$2.5 million
- Technology and media services = +$2 million
- Javits Gifted and Talented = +$2 million
Research in Special Education was not cut as recommended by both the House and Senate. The Omnibus included $54 million which is the FY 2015 funded level. All other special education programs are be frozen at FY 15 levels. Unfortunately, the rider to block the proposed higher education teacher preparation regulations were not included in the omnibus. It is anticipated the U.S. Department of Education will release these regulations in the very near future.
Thank you CEC members for your tireless advocacy. Your persistent efforts have made a difference!